Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Burgers are good...mmmm kay

Here's one of my favorite burger recipes that I spent a lot of time perfecting.  You can use any ground meat you want including ground turkey, etc.  I like the flavor combination of ground bison and mild/medium Italian sausage.

Here are the ingredients:
-1 lb. ground bison (you can use ground beef, turkey, etc.)
-1 lb. mild Italian sausage (the kind with the thin skin that can be cut off)
-chopped onion
-a couple hand fulls of bread crumbs or crushed saltine crackers
-Rosemary
-2 eggs (I use one egg per pound of meat)
-2 packets of powdered ranch dip mix (I use one packet per pound of meat)-this is the key ingredient to the amazing flavor of these burgers!


Break up the ground bison then remove the thin skin on the sausage and break it up as well.  Put all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and let the fun begin!  Moosh everything together...my 4 year old daughter is actually better at this than I am.  Once everything is mixed together nicely I make a bunch of 8 oz. meatballs out of it.  I like to have 8 oz. of protein per meal but you can adjust the size to whatever amount you want.  


Once you have all your meatballs made smoosh them into burger patties.  I like to make a crater in the middle so that when I cook them the center doesn't rise way up and basically turn it into a ball.  Now they're ready to throw on the grill, stove or in the oven.  For those that you aren't going to eat right away you can put the patties in a ziploc baggie and freeze it.  Then just thaw it out when you're ready to eat it and cook it up.


Once it's cooked you can garnish it with whatever you want, however I just add some cheese, lettuce and sometimes tomato.  I usually just eat if off a plate with a fork instead of in a bun because I figure if I leave off the bun I can eat more burger :)  

The Dr. Pepper bottle in the background is only there to try to make the photo more interesting.  Give me a break people, I'm new to this whole creative photography thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment